About Us
Empire State Pest Control will protect your home against common household pests. Don’t let pest and other critters sneak their way into your property call the professionals today!

How to Avoid Getting Sick While Using Pesticides

Accidental poisonings are a tragedy that often could have been easily avoided.  To avoid getting sick while using pesticides it is important you know the facts.  Various pesticides can make you sick by skin contact, breathing them in, if they get into your eyes or if they are swallowed.  Follow all safety precaution when using pesticides such as wearing goggles if specified, and storing them properly. 

Know the signs to look for to spot if you or someone you are with is showing symptoms of poisoning.  Slurred speech, headaches, profuse sweating, rashes, trouble breathing, and pain all need immediate attention.  If you are handling pest control on your own, be sure you know what to do in case of an emergency prior to handling pesticides.  Most pesticide containers will tell you how to handle a situation, such as flushing out the area with water or contacting a poison control center. 

Whenever you handle pesticides it is required that you wash your hands immediately afterwards.  This means wash your hands before you reach for your glass and take a drink, pull out a stick of gum, light up a cigarette, head to the bathroom, and before you touch up your lipstick.  Be sure to also wash your hands before you touch your face or rub your neck, or use them to touch anything else on your person.  This simple measure can prevent individuals from getting sick when they are using DIY pest control measures or entering the house after a professional job.  Another option is wearing gloves designed to be resistant to chemicals, which is believe to reduce risk by as much as eighty percent.

With proper precautions, it is fairly easy for an adult to avoid getting sick, but what about children and pets?  Small children and pets are lower to the ground and tend to spend more time in areas where pest control sprays are administered, they both also tend to put things in their mouth.  This means you have to use extra safety precautions when using any type of poison or insecticide in these areas.  If you are using a professional exterminator, you can discuss this issue with them.  They will typically advise that animals and children be removed from the area or even completely from the home for a certain period of time.  They will advise how long until the area is safe for little ones again.  Choose a company that you feel safe with, that is more than willing to answer all your questions and offer alternatives.      

It is important to put away all items that you can around your home as well.  This means putting away all dishes and silverware if pest control will be used in the kitchen of your home.  Put away toothbrushes and towels out of bathrooms.  Clothing and toys should be removed from areas where spraying is going on, as should pet bowls and bedding.  Anything that will come into contact with a person or pet’s mouth or bare body should be stored safely away. 

Be sure that you avoid the areas for the appropriate amount of time.  This is typically six hours but varies greatly depending on the products being used.  Ventilating the home is often a good idea after any treatments.  Fresh air from open windows is always refreshing and can help avoid minor irritations such as headaches.